Wednesday 17 September 2014

Preliminary Task Evaluation



For this task I am going to evaluate my contents page and front cover of my school magazine ‘Haydon Daily’ in which I created on InDesign which I am quite familiar with. For my front cover I chose a mid-shot of a Sixth Former sitting down in formal clothing to represent the smart, formal characteristics for Haydon and do set an example to students who the magazine is targeted at, she is sat in a well-known spot in the Sixth Form Centre which people who are at Haydon can instantly recognise.  The font I have used is the font which is typically used in the Haydon logo and also in documents and leaflets of Haydon which is ‘Tw Cen MT Condensed’ so students and teachers can see it and instantly associate it with Haydon as it is recognisable. I have chosen to include a circle which includes some of the things which will be inside the magazine to give people a rough idea to what they are going to read and can judge if it interests them or not, the circle is person which matches the detail on the chair the sixth former is sitting on. Furthermore, I have included 2 cell lines on either side of the page to give people another clue as to what is inside. The typical Haydon stag is also in the corner to make it clear that the magazine is indeed a Haydon one and to show that it is a proud school.

 

For the contents page, I have decided to include a grey background with an orange/yellow text to state ‘Contents’ and ‘Haydon Daily’ due to these both being two contrasting monochrome colours which will stand out against each other and are also seen about n the Haydon Media posters. I have also included contents page numbers to be big and bold with blue text to convey where the page numbers are indicating them to so it is very clear what is going to be inside. The pictures I have used are of Sixth Form students as it is a useful opportunity to use as a headline due to it being relatable and because in reality, new sixth form students have arrived. I have also included pictures which include the building site of the new gym to highlight real life events to make the magazine appear more realistic to viewers and truthful.

 

The good thing about my magazine is that I have made use of my skills through this task which includes design and colour. I like how I made some features transparent to make it appear more original and unique. I believe that I have met the criteria for the preliminary task and have successfully created a school magazine however there are many things I could have done different. For example for the front page I feel I could have made it much more busy and added a few more elements such as extra cell lines to jazz it up a bit, however I included less to keep it simple. I also feel that I could have added various amounts of social platforms such as a twitter and facebook link or a barcode to scan to gain access to apps to make the magazine appear more current. When it comes to completing the real task, I will take these improvements into consideration and use all the skills I have used in this task.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment